Monday, July 30, 2012

Style Jockin`


Females these days drive me craaaazy. It's getting more and more difficult to be an individual in a world full of clones. Why people can't be creative and original and have their own style, I couldn't tell you. What I can tell you though, is that I hate when people try to jock mine. You will never be me, there is only one me, and no matter how much you try to copy me, you'll never come close. I am one of a kind.

A couple people that I used to be friends with would do this. I would get a shirt, they would have to go get the same shirt or similar. I would dye my hair, they would do the same with theirs. I would start wearing a lot of one brand, and then suddenly it was her favorite brand too. I told her about how long I'd been blogging, and then BOOM! she suddenly decided she wanted to blog too. The list goes on and on. I understand if you like something that someone is wearing and you buy it, but put your own spin on things. Don't copy everything someone does. Use ideas from people, but make it your own. I'm nothing special, I don't know why people feel the need to copy everything I do. I was born by myself, I don't need a twin now.

Wear what you like. If you like a shirt that one of your friends has, by all means, go buy it, BUT don't copy their whole wardrobe. If you don't want to get the same exact shirt, buy it in a different color or style. When I got my belly re-pierced, all of the sudden this girl wanted hers pierced. When I put pictures of my monroe online, a couple girls suddenly wanted that too when they had never mentioned it before. I don't know why women feel the need to copy everything someone else does. It should be easy to be an individual in this world, there are SO many places to shop, things to do, etc., but I guess some people haven't realized that yet.

My main point is that people need to be themselves. An original is always better than a copy. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, but I don't see it that way. I see it as that person being uncreative, and wanting to be someone else so bad that they completely forget about the things that THEY like.

If you lose sight of what you like and are trying to get YOUR swag back, here are my suggestions:

1.) Look through magazines, watch TV, go online "window" shopping, and get ideas of what YOU think looks good. Don't copy what you see, use it as inspiration and mix it up, put your own twist on it.
2.) Be creative with your makeup. I get complimented on my makeup a lot. I try to do new things with my makeup all the time. Play around with your makeup. Try different looks. A lot of people think that the only way you can try to stand out from others is by your clothing, but that's not true. That is just the beginning, and that brings me to my next suggesion...
3.) Try a new hair style. It's basically trial and error with this. You can always get ideas from friends, online, magazines, etc. but once again, put your own twist on it. Add hair accessories; headbands, clips, etc. Dye your hair a different color. If you don’t want to do something as bold as dying your whole head, highlight your hair. Put layers in your hair, cut it shorter, add extensions… there are so many different things you can do. Look online and in magazines for inspiration and bring them with when you go get your hair done so you can show whoever cuts your hair what you like.

4.) Add some new jewelry to your collection. This can be tricky for some people. The right jewelry can pull an outfit together while the wrong jewelry can completely throw off your whole look. (I don’t want to go too much into that because I’m writing a separate blog about how to wear jewelry.) Not everyone has hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of dollars to spend on expensive jewelry. Of course it’s nice to have some fine jewelry, but you can buy some fashionable statement pieces at an affordable price. Adding some new jewelry to your collection can really revamp your outfits. Forever 21, H&M, and jewelmint.com are all great places to look for trendy, affordable jewelry.

5.) Alter clothing you already have. Not everyone is a sewing expert, including myself, but there are so many things you can do to alter the clothing you already have in your closet that doesn’t require sewing or tons of your time. By altering clothing you already own, you’ll be able to rock outfits that you are positive no one else has. If you make or alter something yourself, you will be the only person in this world with that exact piece of clothing. The internet will be your best friend for this, especially YouTube. There are so many DIY (Do It Yourself) videos out there, just search around to get ideas. You’d be surprised how easy some of this stuff is to do.

Whatever you decide to do, BE YOURSELF. I can’t stress this enough. Never go along with something if you don’t like it just because it’s the new trend. Wear what you like, what looks good on you, and have fun with it! :)
 " 'Style' is an expression of individualism mixed with charisma. Fashion is something that comes after style." -John Fairchild

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always comment back on your blog, as well as subscribe back if you subscribe to me. Please be respectful, don't be a hater. ;)