Saturday, March 22, 2014

Drug Store Beauty Haul && Mini Reviews!!

Hi Beauties!! ♥

I was at Walmart the other day (I am there entirely too much....it's an unhealthy obsession-- you can't beat the prices!!) and I picked up a few beauty products. I bought these about 2 weeks ago and have been using all of them so I could do some mini reviews for all of you. Here's what I got:

Rimmel London ScandalEyes 24 Hour Waterproof Gel Eyeliner--Blackest Black-- $5.47
My Thoughts: Normally I use either regular eyeliner pens, or once in a while I'll use liquid eyeliner. I was running low on both. I've seen gel eyeliner used a LOT on YouTube beauty guru videos, (I'm a total fashion/beauty YouTube junkie...haha.) so I decided to try something new and buy a gel eyeliner. Using gel eyeliner for the first time was a bit messy and felt awkward doing it with a brush, but after using this a couple times, I got the hang of it. It's a great product, and really inexpensive. This gel liner glides on really easily. It is super dark black (obviously...blackest black) and it lasts all day. I'm not sure about it lasting 24 hours, because I don't ever wear my makeup 24 hours straight (who does?!) but it does last for a long time. I didn't even have to touch it up once.

Final Verdict: I would repurchase this and recommend it to people that want a creamy eyeliner that applies easily and lasts all day.

Almay Shadow Softies Eye Shadow-- Creme Brulee
My Thoughts: In my eyes, you can never have enough nude makeup products. I love nude eyes and lips. This is the first time I've tried this shadow, but when I saw it on the shelf I instantly fell in love with the color. I don't remember exactly how much it cost, but it was very inexpensive. It's a very lightweight, almost sheer eyeshadow. It wasn't as pigmented as I would have liked. It's more of an extremely light shimmer, not so much a color. It's great to wear on top to set another shadow, or to add in the corner by your tear ducts to make you look more awake, but it doesn't really work as a stand alone eyeshadow.

Final Verdict: I wouldn't repurchase this.

Revlon Colorstay Shadowlinks Pearl Eyeshadow-- 090 Lilac

My Thoughts: This color caught my eye while I was browsing. It's such a gorgeous color, and purple brings out hazel eyes, so I had to buy it. The packaging is a genius idea-- you can buy singles and make your own palette by linking them together. Unfortunately that's where my excitement for this product ends. I've tried to apply this shadow dry, with a moist brush, with my fingers....nothing worked. This shadow has almost no pigment. I was really disappointed. It also has horrible fallout under the eyes.

Final Verdict: I'm very unimpressed and will NOT be repurchasing this product.

Revlon Illuminance Creme Shadow Quad-- 730 Skinlights-- $4.94


I'm making a fist--I promise I have fingers. LOL.
My Thoughts: I've used Revlon Illuminance Creme Shadows before (a long time ago--like 2008). Honestly it was so long ago that I don't even remember if I liked them or not. When I saw this quad sitting on the shelf, I decided to get it because the price was right && the colors were really pretty. Their pigment is OK, but the staying power isn't great, and if you wear them alone they tend to crease. I tried to apply them a couple different ways but got the same result each time. They are easier to use if applied with your finger instead of a brush. Now I just use them as an eyeshadow base. Luckily I purchased "Skinlights" which is a quad of basic neutral nude colors, so they work perfect as a base/primer. They last longer underneath other shadows, and they don't crease if you put a powder shadow over them.

Final Verdict: I'm not very impressed. I'll use this quad until it runs out but will not repurchase it.

Essie--Tart Deco--$6.98

My Thoughts: This is SUCH a pretty coral color. It's perfect for spring, which is why I purchased it. The weather in Chicago has been bipolar. Most days it's freezing cold and sometimes it's still snowing. Yesterday was gorgeous, it went over 50 degrees. Now we have another cold front coming in. If it doesn't feel like spring here, at least I'll look like I have spring spirit. Maybe it'll encourage the spring weather to finally come on. (Wishful thinking. haha.) This polish has great lasting power. I've had it on for 5 days now, and it hasn't chipped. That's huge for me, because I'm a mom, and am on the go all day everyday. Between dishes, playing with my kids, taking care of household chores, etc. my nail polish usually chips pretty quickly. This polish had very impressive staying power. Unfortunately the brush isn't the best and it can make applying this polish a little tricky. It'll end up streaky if you aren't careful. The formula is thin, so you definitely need 2 coats to make this polish opaque, but the end result is beautiful. I love it.

Final Verdict: I will probably repurchase this nail polish.

Rock Beauty--Nail Rock Its Nail Kit--Green with Bows
My Thoughts: I've recently used a different Rock Beauty Nail Rock kit (with the navy blue polish and the foil) and absolutely loved it. The green polish in this kit is OK, but I mainly purchased it for the cute little nail gems. I fell in love with the bows!! I can't tell you how the polish and the velvet powder works because I haven't used them yet, but the little gems are so cute! The instructions say to just press the gems into your nails while polish is still wet, but I wanted extra staying power, so I used nail glue on them. They stayed on perfectly and really dressed up my nails. It looked like I got them done professionally in the salon. I was really impressed.

Final Verdict: I will repurchase this kit when I run out of the gems.

Fing'rs Heart 2 Art Nail Embellishment Kit--31179--$3.48
My Thoughts: I saw these cute little nail gems and had to get them. They were so inexpensive, and this kit came with 310 pieces! Similar to the Nail Rock It kit I reviewed above, the instructions said to put these on wet nails. Once again, I waited for the polish to dry and used nail glue. I wanted to make sure they'd stay on securely. These gems are SO cute and the design possibilities are endless. You can do so many different nail looks with these embellishments.

Final Verdict: When these run out, I'll be purchasing more.

Kiss--Maximum Speed Nail Glue
My Thoughts: This nail glue is absolutely amazing. It lives up to every claim on the packaging. It dries almost immediately, and it lasts for a long time. I used this nail glue to attach embellishments to my nails, and they've been on for over 5 days without coming off. That's a record for me. Lol. Because the glue dries so quickly, you have to wipe the top of the bottle after every use or it will glue itself shut. The only con I really see with this product is that for some reason it's a little difficult to get the glue out. I had to squeeze really hard to get a drop out. That can be irritating. The smell is a little strong so you might want to open a window and not use this in a small space.

Final Verdict: I will be repurchasing this nail glue when I run out.



Have you used any of these products? What do you think of them? Are there any products shown here that you'd like to try? Let me know in the comments below. Hope you have an amazing weekend!! ♥

xo, Sarah

5 comments:

  1. I love walmart and the revlon eye palette I love been using for a long time it stay put all day. Also the kiss glue works amazing.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Kiss glue, it's like cement!! LOL. ☺

      xo, Sarah

      Delete
  2. I love getting new make up... hopefully this week I will have some time to really look around for some great new colors :)

    I love your choices Sarah... what I like most is your honesty about the products that did not perform well, too many people want to be nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Launna. ❤

    I agree, too many bloggers ONLY review products they like, or get a product for free from a company and pretend to like it because it was sponsored. I tend to be a little TOO honest sometimes, so I do try to censor myself a little bit while still getting my point across. I'm a very blunt, sarcastic person in real life too. Haha. ☺ Thank you for your sweet comment. 💗

    xo, Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I always comment back on your blog, as well as subscribe back if you subscribe to me. Please be respectful, don't be a hater. ;)